Emergency Warning & Notification Systems
Outdoor Warning Sirens
The Outdoor Warning Sirens will be audibly tested on the first Wednesday of each month at 12:00 PM, if weather conditions are favorable.
These sirens are designed to alert citizens, who are outdoors, to an imminent threat in the community. When sounded, citizens should seek shelter immediately in a stable structure. Once secure, citizens should listen to a radio and/or television for emergency warning details and further instructions. While tornado warnings are the most common cause for siren activation, the sirens should not be considered a "tornado siren." They are intended as an "all-hazards" alerting system and may be activated for any type of emergency situation.
the outdoor warning sirens can be activated when:
- The National Weather Service issues a Garland area Tornado Warning or Severe Thunderstorm Warning with destructive winds at or above 70 mph
- Trained storm spotters have reported a tornado with the potential to affect the City of Garland
- Hail of 1.75 inches (golf ball size) in diameter is imminent
- Deemed necessary by City of Garland officials (i.e. in the event of any emergency when officials need to get citizens to move indoors for their safety such as a chemical spill)
Ways to Stay Informed
- Ensure your NOAA All-Hazards Weather Radio is programmed and has backup batteries
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or email OEM@GarlandTX.gov
- Join the Garland E-news mailing list
- Listen to emergency radio stations - WBAP 820 AM is the official emergency information station in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
- Register your contact information for the Garland Emergency Notification System
- Stay aware of forecasted weather conditions
We strongly recommend that you consider the following:
- Purchase a NOAA All-Hazards Weather Radio
- Subscribe to a wireless alerting system to receive alerts on your phone
- Rely on the Outdoor Warning Sirens ONLY for an out door warning
- Turn to broadcast radio or television for details and follow-up information