The best way to avoid waste is to create less waste in the first place.
Recycling and composting are amazing ways to help you put less materials in the trash cart, but what if you had less waste to start with?
Reduce & Reuse Before You Recycle
Make purchasing decisions with a product's end-of-life in mind. Purchase items as if there is no recycling. Choose refillable and reusable options over recyclable ones.
Are the items individually wrapped? Opt for items in bulk. Is the item a 'single use' item that is meant to be thrown out after one use? Choose the sturdier, long lasting reusable one.
Choose to Reuse
Reusing items reduces the amount of waste you create. How many of the simple changes below have you made?
- Use refillable bottles and mugs instead of paper & plastic cups or single-use bottles
- Make coffee with a drip or press coffee maker instead of individual (non-recyclable) pods
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper ones
- Use reusable shopping bags instead of plastic ones
- Use resealable containers for leftovers instead of plastic wrap or tin foil
- Use real towels instead of paper towels
- Go to the library and shop second hand
- Use a washcloth instead of packaged face wipes
- Make your own: food, beauty care, cleaning products, clothing